Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm LOST for a new show

Last Sunday night put to rest what I have considered the best show on TV. LOST was one of those shows that you either loved it or didn't get it, therefore, didn't like it. Anytime Mrs. McGoo and I have started watching a show, I have always told her to give it at least 3-5 episodes to develop. Most great shows develop characters and a plot that will take time to allow a viewer to trust the show. In some cases, people don't want to wait that long for a show to develop, and in others, some will stick with it.



LOST really was one of those shows that people had to stay with for a while in order to "understand" and appreciate what was going on. I only put understand in quotes because there were many parts of the show that no one got til the end. I've talked to many people that had one thing or another that completely turned them off from the show. Some, point to a polar bear on the island that was simply not believable and others had their reasons. I can only offer to those that didn't stick with the show the words, you really missed out. I have been fortunate to have watched some great television programing in my life and I can honestly say that LOST was one of the best I've seen. It was right up there with the Sopranos in my book.

That being said, the show came to an end on Sunday night. Great finales are often remembered more so that the show as a whole and this one was great. Like the Sopranos, Cheers, Seinfield, MASH, and Newhart, there was a huge anticipation to what the final show would be like. Let me say that it really delivered for what I wanted to see. Having Jack lay back down on the island and see the plane of survivors that he sacrificed himself for was pure magic. Just like the show 'opened' 6 years ago, it 'closed' perfectly.

That being said, apparently the writers said they knew what the ending was going to look like from the very beginning. That is impressive in my book. However, they did film a couple of other alternate endings for the show in case the one they used didn't go over well with the public. Here are those alternate endings...



Now that the great show has come to an end, does anyone have an thoughts on what the next great show is going to be? Is is yet to be filmed or do you think that there is one out there right now?

Some of the better shows currently the Mrs. and I are watching are:
Parenthood, Dexter, Fringe, The Office.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm enjoying Parenthood too. But, honestly, I am looking forward to having the summer "off" from TV. In line with what Ernie talked about yesterday, the end of a TV season gives me the chance to do something more productive with my time without too much temptation to turn it back on. Although, the World Cup IS coming... ;)

Frank Bryant said...

I never "got" Lost. I admit I only watched 2 or 3 episodes over the time it was on TV.

aTerri and I just started watching tThe Sopranos. We are just into the second season and enjoying it.

I suggest you go rent or buy Breaing Bad. I think it is the best show on TV now, but you really need to see season one to understand what is going on.

Unknown said...

I think Fringe has some of the same staying power Lost did but only time will tell. We watch way too much tv and REALLY need to start cutting back, but Fringe is one we can't do w/o... others being Parenthood, Dexter, Lie to Me, Justified, Criminal Minds, Law & Order, 24, The Mentalist, V, Cougar Town... like I said, way to much TV. It'll be nice to have a break this summer from some of our favs... we'll actually be forced to get a life!