Friday, July 23, 2010

Mad Men

Now that the World Cup is over, there is literally NOTHING on TV right now. Golf, racing cars, and baseball are the sports that are going on. It's like a trifecta of boring. I can get into an inning or two of watching baseball, but the rest, nadda. I'm always amused at people who say that soccer is boring, yet love to watch one of those three I just listed. Golf is great to watch when you want a nap. Racing is fun to watch when you want to have some redneck friends over for a bbq. Baseball is fun to watch when you're at the game...and even then I don't watch it.

All that being said, Mrs. McGoo and I have found a show that we absolutely love. "Mad Men." It comes on AMC on Sunday nights and this Sunday will begin the fourth season. "Mad Men" is widely thought of as the best show on television, with two consecutive Best Drama Emmys under its belt along with being the clear favorite for a third at the end of next month. I'd need to check with my crack research staff to see the last time, if ever, a show won three consecutive Best Drama awards, let along doing so in its first three years. (I'll let you know what I find out...and if I ever get a crack research staff) It also has my new celebrity crush in it as well. January Jones. Interestingly enough, I saw her on an award show the other night and told the wifey that I liked her better in the 60's.

There's only one problem to this blog post. We just finished Season 2. See, we borrowed Season 1 from UILF (Uncle In Law Frank) and have borrowed Season 2 and 3 from Mrs. McGoo's rents. So we've got a full season of watching yet to do. Good thing we have a semi clear weekend for the first time in a long time. So I'm sure we'll get a few episodes under our belt.

I say all this to let you know that you should start watching it. It's fascinatingly good. Especially good when all there is to watch is golf, racing, and baseball.

3 comments:

Frank Bryant said...

I can't disagree with much. I am still a big fan of Breaking Bad. We bought the first two seasons and you might find those mixed in with our return of The Sopranos. We will send them back with -H's rents in late August. I personally think that Breaking Bad is better than Madmen, but only by a NASCAR photo finish.

Elian said...

I find it funny that you are busy busy and the Mrs. states the same on her blog. However, you find time to watch an entire season of a show in a weekend.

Mr. McGoo said...

Yeah, sometimes within the chaos, you make time to visit with your spouse you haven't seen all week.

I call it, ignoring responsibilty