Tuesday, December 22, 2009

UK2K

I told myself I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't make my first post about UK Basketball. Thankfully, this is my second post so I'm in the clear.

Last night my beloved Wildcats of Kentucky reached a milestone not accomplished by anyone else in college basketball. They won their 2,000th game. In order to understand how many games that is think about this...If a team won 20 games a year, it would take 100 years to get to 2000. Keep in mind that in the early years of basketball, many teams only played 5-8 games a year. So it's quite an accomplishment.

There are actually two more teams this year that could reach the 2,000 wins milestone. Here's what the top four teams look like as of 12/22/09

Kentucky - 2,000
North Carolina - 1,992
Kansas - 1,980
Duke - 1,885

As you can see, UNC should get to that win total come conference play, while Kansas could theoretically get to the milestone with a deep run in the NCAA tourney (which they are expected to do). Hopefully Duke never reaches that milestone.

Enough about that...last night was about Kentucky Basketball and the fans of the Commonwealth. It brought back so many memories of as ESPN interviewed important figures in UK's past like Kenny "Sky" Walker, Jamal Mashburn, Joe B. Hall, and Kyle Macy. Those are just some of the names that live on in UK folklore.

One name that will be there (UK folklore) sooner than later is John Wall. I'll expound on John Wall some other time, but I'll just say he's pretty talented. He's actually already got his own dance. Trust me...look it up on Google. His dance has even gone viral and made it's way into a TV show, "Cougartown"

Here's the Wildcat Mascot and DeMarcus "Boogie" Cousins celebrating last night by doing the "John Wall Dance."



UK2K Baby!

No comments: