Friday, September 10, 2010

Hole in Our Gospel

Started reading this book "The Hole in Our Gospel" and I must say, through the first chapters, it's pretty compelling and convicting all in one. I was actually suppose to read this BEFORE I went on my mission trip, but I'm actually just now reading it. And honestly, I'm glad I didn't read it then. It wouldn't have affected me the way it is now.

Basically the premise of the book is dealing with the idea that if you say you are a follower of Christ, you need to have more than just a "personal" and transforming relationship with God, but more of a "public" and transforming relationship with the world.

I love this quote...

"If your personal faith in Christ has no positive outward expression, then your faith - and mine - has a hole in it. As Johnny Cash sang, 'You're so heavenly minded, you're no earthly good.' The apostle James felt strongly about this type of person. 'Show me your faith without deeds and I will show you my faith by what I do' (James 2:18). In other words, Make your faith public."

So true. And that is what has hit me harder lately is that I've sat back for many years and talked about how I'm a Christian, yet what did I ever do to truly profess that claim? I think I always struggled with, or just denied, what God wanted with me. I've lived out my faith privately...praying before dinner, going to church on Sundays, and writing encouraging emails to prayer requests. But what about being public with my faith? Living out God's love to others by my actions or words, just through my small circle of friends, but to my community and further out.

I'm hoping I can encompass that in my life and outside of that. From starting a bible study with my closest friends, to attending a men's bible study at 5am, to going to Ethiopia in December.

Here's hoping I can fill in that hole in the gospel

2 comments:

Rachael said...

good stuff. thanks for the challenge.

Ben Fanning said...

Lindsey and I just got that book off of amazon...and are very excited to read it...