Friday, September 10, 2010

Life in the Fast Lane

Pathetic. That is how I describe my blogging these days. I am sorry about that...all 12 of my followers. I've got a little time right now while I'm sitting in my hotel room in Birmingham to blog. Two things seem to be the dominant factor in my life right now, so here's what's up.

School:
Started classes two weeks ago and this semester is going to be crazy.

Here is my class load:
Leadership in Leisure Services
Sport Governance
Sports Marketing
Sports/Culture in a Global Perspective
Sports as Pop Culture
Field Experience

Grand total of 18 hours. Fun fun. Really, I do like the classes, however, this is the heaviest reading semester I've had and all of my classes are project based. So, to get this straight, lots of reading and lots of writing. Governance will be the one that drives me crazy. The professor is the hardest professor I've ever had, but he's one of my favorites. See, I tend to get a little apathetic nearing the end of the semester and start to slack off. Which is why sometimes I end up with a B instead of an A. Not with Dr. Martin (Governance and my Law professor from the Summer course). He makes you read a chapter for each class, take a quiz for each chapter before you come to class, online, and then submit a question that you would like to have on the exam from that chapter. Not only that, but I have a group project due around Thanksgiving that addresses six major issues in International Sport, interview someone involved in International Sport (Thankfully my partner is from Ireland) and develop a policy to help with one of the problems in that sport. It is basically going to be a pain. But I like the fact that it is so structured. He doesn't take crap from people and weeds out the people that don't take it seriously. One of my biggest complaint with school is that too many professors allow kids to walk in late, play on their phones, and generally be disruptive. Not Dr. Martin. If you come in late, you lose half a percentage point off your final grade and if your phone goes off in class, you lose five percent off your final grade. So, if your phone goes off in class, you've basically gone from a 100 to a 95 in one ring. I love it.

Soccer:
I'm sitting in a hotel room in Birmingham, AL with the soccer team. We play tonight at 5pm and tomorrow night at 5pm. I don't normally travel with the team too much, but this year I am. I don't have class on Mondays or Fridays, so I wouldn't be missing class anyway. The down side is that I am out of town a lot this semester. This weekend is Birmingham, next is Lexington for my sisters wedding, the next weekend is in Knoxville/Gatlinburg for a guys weekend, then one week at the house, then to Orlando and Miami for soccer, then back up to Lexington for a soccer match and seeing family. So the next month is going to be busy.

Those two seem to be the things that take up most of my time. Mrs. McGoo and I seem to cross paths right now with our schedules and we still try and make time for our friends. That's just the way the cookie crumbles right now.

Life in the fast lane

No comments: