Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Music

I'm not sure if I made it publicly known before we left for Africa that I felt a little attacked. This time around Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I love decorating the house and the colder weather, but most importantly, I love Christmas music. For some reason, hearing that music really sets my heart in tune with the time of year and most importantly, the meaning behind it all. So as I was preparing for the trip, and taking studying for finals, I got a little bit of my listen on to some music, however, I started feeling a little down about my trip because I was going to be gone and not around family and friends for this special time. I watched as people posted on facebook about all the neat things they were planning to do, trips, shopping with family, spending time with family, decorating, and many other things that I began to realize I was going to miss out on. I shared my feelings a bit with my Sunday School class before we left how a part of me felt like I was missing out.

Tuesday evening I came back to the guesthouse late at night to find all the lights out in the place except for a few. The few lights were a small wreath and Christmas tree decorated with lights and ornaments. I cannot explain to you how much this meant to me. Even more so that the next morning after breakfast, I sat around the hearth where the ornaments were and closed my eyes to take some of it all in. Out of nowhere Christmas music started playing on a piano. David, a South African, who works for "Youth for Christ" decided to sit down and play real Christmas music, not the stuff about Santa, and it completely fell over me that again, God was in control. As I sat there and listened, there was such a peace that came over me. It was like God knew exactly the small little nudge I needed to realize, Christmas wasn't about being cozy and warm at night while watching "It's a Wonderful Life", which just happens to be my favorite Christmas movie ever. Christmas isn't about where you are either. So it was such a blessing to know that God and Christmas isn't only in America. It just took me to sit back and close my eyes to realize that.

A side note. Anyone know of any good places online where I can listen to some good Christmas music?

2 comments:

Larry McGoo said...

cool. you will be missed though at Christmas morning.

Joseph said...

SO I'm trying to look up christmas music online for you. Try http://www.web-radio.fm/christmas/ and see if it's easy enough to download the player from there. Hope it works!