Sunday, December 12, 2010

Plane Rides and Africa

We're finally here in Ethiopia. This seemed to be a longer trip than it was the last time. Maybe it is because this time our flight schedule was longer. Last time, we went Memphis-Charlotte-D.C.-Rome-Addis. This time around it was Memphis-Chicago-Istanbul-Addis.

Our first flight to Chicago was a rather easy one. We were on a puddle jumper and made it in and went to get something to eat. Chicago Airport is interesting. They have a few terminals devoted to regular travels, then one all off by itself for internationals. And believe me, it was like an island all to itself. All the nice restaurants were in the other terminals and we were left with McDonalds. Maybe that is considered nice in other countries, but I wasn't too crazy about it. I had my mind set on one last really nice meal before we left. Didn't happen.

We did however run into some folks that were traveling to Addis by way of Nashville. We were told by our friends the Harder's that they were on this flight and they run a organization called Ordinary Hero (www.ordinaryhero.org)and we spent the rest of the trip getting to know them.

For those that know me pretty well, know I'm not a fun one to travel with. I've got this thing with tight spaces, recycled air, and smells. Doesn't work well with me. So we get on the plane and it is hot and no airflow. Then we have a kid behind us that is kicking out chairs. (Somewhere in K.C. there is an old man laughing right now) Mrs. McGoo would say that I started to panic, but I would say that I started getting irritated. Anyway, we got going and I took my valium as needed and settled down.

While on the plane, we encountered some really horrible service. They would serve food and tell you their options (chicken or fish) but then would say, sorry, we're out of the chicken. Well, dude, why did you offer it in the first place?!?!?

Has anyone ever seen the movie "Stand By Me"...well, you know in the movie when the main character is telling the story about a really big dude that goes to a pie eating contest, not to win, but to make everyone sick. Yeah, well, that was kinda like our flight. We must have descended too fast or something because one person in a row in front of us started getting sick. Then before you knew it, a barf-o-rama started. Everyone was throwing up or grabbing their barf bags. Crazy I tell you.

We got off in Istanbul and took in their mall of an airport. It was pretty nice I must say. Even had their own Starbucks...for those people that like Starbucks (sorry, can't waste my money on that stuff...and I don't like coffee). We then made our way to gate 310 as shown on the flight info screen. When we got their and went through security checks, we noticed the gate was changed to 207 with not much time before boarding the plane. So we hurried over to the new gate with its own security check. Finally, we got on the plane and had to get the flight attendant to come to our aid because a lady was sitting in our seats with her two little kids. She wasn't moving either. Eventually, after causing a huge jam getting in the place, we got everything straightened out and sat down. Because of some ice, we sat on the run way for another hour and a half before finally taking off.

Around 3:30am Ethiopian time (6:30pm CDT) we finally made it in and got our bags and headed to the SIM Guesthouse.

Today is Monday and it is 7am (10pm CDT) and I'm finally rested up. Took a while. I'm sure Mrs. McGoo posted some pics on her blog for all to see. I'm not the picture guy.

Until next time...