Monday, March 28, 2011

13 Years Too Long

This weekend ended on a high note for me. My University of Kentucky Wildcats are going back to the Final Four for the first time in 13 years. Growing up in Lexington, we're use to success in basketball. However, after Tubby took over for Pitino and won a championship in 1998, we haven't seen the last weekend in college basketball in over 13 years.

During that time, 'Cryin' Roy discovered two championships, Rat K won two championships, "Chowda" Jim won two championships, Billy 'The Kid" won two championships, and even Bill Self has won one. While I loved Tubby, he never had the desire to play the recruiting game and began to bring in talent that Auburn wouldn't want. Then, when he moved on, we took over a complete mistake in Billy Gillispie. Billy Clyde was in over his head in Lexington and just like some say in New York, got swallowed up by the pressure.

Now, we finally got the guy that LOVES the pressure and thrives on it.

What makes this run to the Final Four so remarkable is that last year's 'Draft Cats" had more talent and next's years incredible recruiting class is what everyone was looking forward to. This year was the year that we had low expectations and would be happy to make it to the second weekend of the tourney.

Now we're back where we belong. So it's going to be a fun week. I'll get to listen to a ton of fans complain about Cal and how he's a cheater and can't coach and how UK can't win with one-and-done's and how UCONN is better and how everyone wants VCU, Butler, or UCONN to win.

That's fine. The one thing I've learned about sports is that hate breeds stupidity. This team is legit and that's all that matters to me. I love watching them play.

One other thing that would be nice if UK wins the Championship. I'd win my brackets and come home with a lot of cash. That would be especially nice considering I've got a certain KU fan that has beaten me two years in a row.

GO CATS

4 comments:

Frank Bryant said...

That certain KU fan will even acknowledge that UK has returned to the realm of major college basketball programs IF THEY WIN IT ALL!

Mrs. McGoo said...

whoo hoo!
C.A.T.S.... CATS! CATS! CATS!

My boys, Josh, Liggins, and Miller are working hard and helping get the job done! Looking for 2 more wins and sitting back and watching my hubs celebrate like a little kid in a candy store!

GO CATS!

Rachael said...

As bad as I hate it...Congrats!!

Frank Bryant said...

This blog blows