Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Giving Up of Something You Love

As a kid, Lent was always a confusing time for me. Growing up Methodist, we never really celebrated Lent in our household. I don't know why really, I guess I always thought of Lent as a Catholic ritual. I remember seeing so many people, that I would never really associate with being a Christian, recognize Lent. It's not that I was trying to judge anyone, but with a lot of them, Lent just seemed to be something they did because that was what they were supposed to do, not because they were doing it for their beliefs.

Anyway, I say all this because Lent is tomorrow and I wanted everyone to know that I have already started. I have been eating Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches for almost two weeks straight. It has been a difficult process knowing that I am giving it up today (I'm planning on eating catfish for lunch and chicken for dinner), but it has to come to an end at some point.

During this time of PB&J, I have come close on a couple of occasions to missing out on the delicious treat. For instance, last Sunday, I made my way over to the in-laws house to watch my beloved Wildcats take down Captain Sweaty and his band of criminals, otherwise known as UT. In doing so, I had to eat my PB&J. The only problem is, all the Grinch had in the pantry was creamy peanut butter. Growing up on crunchy all my life, that is like asking a man to switch from a Samsung flat screen to a black and white tube TV. Needless to say, I made the difficult decision to spread the creamy all over the beautiful white bread and mix it with the jelly. I was able to push through the overload of peanut butter bread caked to the roof of my mouth by downing a couple of cokes, which helped peal it off my pallet. So thankful for the stock of cokes and Cheeto puffs that my favorite mother in law supplied.

So you see, it has been a wonderfully, difficult time making this streak work. But in the end, and it always has to end, the decision to give it up PB&J is being made on my own terms...not because of ones neglect of crunchy peanut butter in their pantry.

4 comments:

Frank Bryant said...

PB&J with Potato Chips (in the sandwich) is something you couldn't give up for Lent.

Laura Dawson said...

I was laughing so hard at this post, I had to call your wife and while I was sitting at my desk to share my laughter. very entertaining bubba!

Mrs. McGoo said...

She thought you were calling me the Grinch, and when I said, NO that's my mom he's talking about, she lost it. Re-read, understood, and lost it again. :)

Cindy said...

There are now locks on the frig and pantry at the Grinch's house :)