Friday, July 8, 2011

London - Day 1

I made it to London after a full day of travel from Nashville - Atlanta - and London. Was a little worried at first considering my flight out of Nashville was delayed, but Delta quickly stepped up and moved me to a different flight and got me to Atlanta after a few hours wait.

I was telling Mrs. McGoo on the way to drop me off that I feel a bit coarse with 'goodbyes' considering I had to say it twice a year when I was a kid. Visiting my father when I lived in Kentucky and my mom when I lived in Tennessee led to many tearful farewells, so they don't seem to be as hard for me as they use to be.

However, seeing a wife who was trying her best to hold back tears when I left was pretty darn hard. Fortunately, I was able to put on some sunglasses and sit and wait on a plane. Mrs. McGoo, on the other hand, had to try and drive across traffic in Nashville to reach her brother in law and sister's house.


Maybe they're Florida fans

Once I made it to London, I quickly had to get some money exchanged, then find the 'tube' (subway) and make my way across underground London to find my cousin Andrew, who I am staying with the first couple of days and a few on the back end of the trip. Once I got to Andrew, we made our way back to their 'flat' (apartment) and then went to a 'pub' bar for some much needed food.


View from my room

We then went to watch a 5 a side tourney that some of his co-workers are playing in and caught a bus back to the flat to meet up with his wife, Ally. We had some dinner and I headed to bed. I tried to stay awake for Mrs. McGoo to skype with, but quickly fell asleep and woke up around midnight and got online to quickly say goodnight. (Note: it doesn't get dark here til 10 or so and gets light around 4am)


I woke up around 4am, closed my blinds and went back to sleep. I didn't wake up til noon and moped around for another hour and caught Mrs. McGoo on skype before she was leaving for work. Then headed out to look around the city for a bit and grab a bite to eat. My first official meal - Fish sandwich and fries.

Still a little jet lagged here, but looking forward to getting out tomorrow and spend a full day around London before I have to head over to the University that I am staying at.


Fish Sandwich and a Brew




1 comment:

Mrs. McGoo said...

why you gotta bust me out in public for the tears, huh? ;)

I know Andrew & Ally will take great care of you!