Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Appreciate the Small Things in Life

Funny thing happened to me the other day (Monday). I was walking into the computer lab with a few classmates to work on a project. One of the guys that I was with is one of my favorite guys to be around. His name is Brock and as he puts it, he "had a rough start medical wise but I made it through strong. I am a short guy but fun lovin."

He pretty much hit everything in his profile. He's short and is short because of a medical condition (I think possibly spinal bifida). Because of that, he has a slight struggle walking. His voice is a bit higher and he looks a little young. However, he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

So, back to the story...

We walk into the computer lab and as we were sitting down, an employee said something to me from across the room. I didn't hear what he said, so he walked up to me and in a not-so-quiet way says, "Sir, we have a new policy in the computer lab that parents cannot bring kids into the lab."

Wait....what?!?!

About that time, he points to Brock and says, "He's your kid right?" Before I even had a chance to respond, Brock, in his kid-like voice says, "I ain't a kid, I'm a junior in college!!!"

The guy looks at me and says, "Oh, sorry sir, I just thought..." My reply - "You thought wrong."

Brock, visibly upset, as one can imagine sits down at the computer and starts to work. I tried to think about how he felt at the time, so I tried to make light of the situations in the only way I know how. I made fun of myself. I said, "Brock, I don't know who should be more insulted, me or you? I mean, he may have said you look young, but he just called me out for looking like your Dad. So don't feel too bad Brock. The ladies always love the younger looking guys."

That got a smile out of him and said "yeah, you do look pretty old...with that gray and all in your beard." I could tell he came around from being upset to having fun again. After he said it, I gave him a smile and he said, "Good to see you can appreciate the small things in life."

Good words buddy. Now about that Dad stuff...

4 comments:

Rachael said...

haha. it's all about perspective!

Mrs. McGoo said...

I SERIOUSLY cracked up when you shared this story with me right after it happened... I "read" it to my coworkers and we all got a good laugh!

Love you, OLD MAN!

Larry McGugan said...

funny story but GOOD for you in the way you handled it.

Robin Kee said...

Love it!