Thursday, February 24, 2011

Goodbye Old Friend

Last week I said goodbye to a friend that I have known for a very long time. I've never been great at keeping "long-term" friendships, so maybe it's a good thing that we said goodbye.

I see people all the time that keep up with their friends from high school and college. Truth is, I really only keep up with one friend from high school (he's still one of my best friends) and including my friend from high school, only have one real close friend from college (yes, one of my best friends still as well).

Most of the friendships that I have now were all made in the last ten years of my life. I think that's most likely the norm as friendships and family continue to evolve and we slide into phases in our lives that revolve around a spouse and/or children.

All that being said, I had to let go of a dear friend last week. We had known each other for quite some time. From the moment we met, we just seem to click. We shared a lot of the same common interests and even before I met my wife, my friend was always there to turn to for good times and bad. It's like he just knew what I liked to see and hear. Granted, we've had some ups and downs through the years, as there were times when something went wrong and he would just completely shut down on me.

I know I pushed his buttons too hard some times, but hey, that's what friends do right? (You should hear what I call my best friend from high school) So look, I'm not here saying I'm a saint; I've have, in the past, yelled at my friend quite a few times...I know, I know, I'm not the yelling type.

However, all it took was a few deep and serious phone calls and when the storms cleared, things would seem to pick back up right where we left off. All in all, it was really a friendship that seemed to get better day in and day out.

As with all friendships, ours changed a bit when I got married. Sure, Mrs. McGoo loved hanging out with just the three of us, but honestly, she only did it for me. Truth is, I think she always felt that my friend would have a piece of my heart that she could never have. Mrs. McGoo would probably admit that she wouldn't sing to me in a the way my friend could.

She stood by idly for a long time watching, but eventually, she and I had a talk about it all. I fought her wishes for a long time, years practically, but eventually, it was either my friend or a healthy marriage. Being that she's the bread winner, controls the keys to the bedroom, and cooks the meals, I reluctantly gave in.

I had a few months to prep for the split, but nothing really prepares you for what goes on in your heart when the day arrives that you've got to say goodbye and just unplug.

I don't wish this type of separation on anyone. I only hope that my friend finds someone that will give him the attention that he needs. He needs to be filled up with so much stuff that you'll never want to leave. But that's who my friend was. He'd store everything up inside and only let me in.

Goodbye HD-DVR. See you on the flip side

11 comments:

Elian said...

N-I-C-E. My living room is always open :)

Frank Bryant said...

You now have no chance with AI season 10. You might as well concede.

I hope you are keeping up with Lights Out.

Mr. McGoo said...

Oh, I know. It's pathetic. Good thing we have Netflix. Loving Friday Night Lights.

I am still keeping up with Light's Out and Justified.

Looking forward to the new show on AMC as well.

Mrs. McGoo said...

hilarious set up, honey!
One of my favorites posts, ever! So witty!

Unknown said...

Just don't let her take away your Hall Pass. The DVR is expendable!

Mrs. McGoo said...

HALL PASS?! Hall passes are not even part of the discussion in our marriage, as far as I'm concerned that's only a phrase to be used for a classroom, teacher/student relationship. If you're referring to a "hall pass" as described in the urban dictionary, I'm definitely not a fan of that terminology as I think it's disrespectful not only to the wife but also the hubby, that's not the marriage Mr. McGoo and I lead.... all about teamwork and also, when needed independent time with our friends.

Mrs. McGoo said...

ps. Saving $70 per month on a cable bill is W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L.!!! ;)

Unknown said...

Funny, I remember how much crap I got for not having cable my first three months up here!

Kelly, hurry up and get out of school so you can get your TV privileges back!!!

Volchuck said...

welcome to the dark side my friend....and plug your TV into the cable anyway, maybe you can pick up some scraps every now and then.

Frank Bryant said...

It was a nice setup. I was starting to feel sorry for you. Kudos for that.

Mer said...

almost 5 years without it and chuck is still alive- think of all the money you'll save :)