Thursday, June 3, 2010

My New Shows

Now that LOST has taken its final bow, I've moved on to a couple of new shows that I've been watching. While I like a lot of programming, there are two shows that have really captivated my attention.

1. JUSTIFIED:
This show has taken over the mantle that LOST left in my heart. I love it.
It is about a U.S. Marshall named Raylan Givens and the happenings in his life. According to the FX website...

"Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky."

Going back to Kentucky, he runs into a lot of people from his past that he is forced to deal with. His ex wife, his childhood friend who is now a criminal, and his father who is a career criminal as well.

I'm a huge fan of FX shows, as I loved Nip Tuck and watched some of The Shield as well.


2. Mad Men:

This show was actually recommended to me by my history professor back in the Fall of 09. He told me that he felt it was the best written show on TV. It was further recommended to Mrs. McGoo and I by her uncle. He let her parents borrow the first season on DVD and when they finished, we borrowed it. I must admit, it has been sitting on our shelf for a few months, as we both have been incredibly busy with school and getting ready for our mission trip. We also had a wealth of other shows we were currently watching and just didn't take the time to put it in que.

We finally started watching it last Sunday and have already made it through 8 episodes.
It has been well worth the wait. It follows a guy by the name of Don Draper who is a partner at an ad agency in the 1960's. If you can get through the drinking at work, smoking every second of every day, and the high levels of infidelity, you'll see a very well written show. The greatest part of this show is the characters and how they all are longing for value in things that are self-destructive. A man who can communicate on all levels with a women, just not his wife. Some who feel that the American dream is by what you wear and how you look.

We were a little blown away at some of the issues that the show dealt with in the beginning, but have since fallen in love with it. I remember looking over at Mrs. McGoo at one point and tell her that how so many people in their marriages can't find happiness because they don't communicate. Thus, their spouse finds it elsewhere. I was reminded by this in our pre-marital counseling when our pastor told us, "If you don't find value in your spouse and don't show them love, they'll find someone that will."

Needless to say, these two are my two new favorite shows...hopefully that is enough for now.

4 comments:

Frank Bryant said...

aTerri and I just watched the last 4 episodes of season 2 with BILL and SILC. I think you will find that season 2 steps it up a couple of notches. I was surprised how much better the acting and writing was.

As good as Madmen is, Breaking Bad is better.

Frank Bryant said...

I stand corrected. We watched the last four episodes of season 3. Your in-laws have seasons 2 and 3.

Mrs. McGoo said...

You're right about Madmen. The main character intrigues me, but also makes me sad. I can't help but think - MAN! This type marriage dynamic is happening daily in marriages all over!

Justified entertains me the times I catch it. ;)

ps. Glad the blogger is back.

Mr. McGoo said...

Justified is the show I really like. I have a feeling Mad Men is going to get better though