Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday - June 13

Today we headed out to a church called International Evangelical Church (IEC) which was great. The congregation was completely diverse and the pastor really brought a great message.

God definitely is starting to stir my soul. He started speaking to me in the service about some things. Most noticeably to me was him speaking to me further about sacrifice and how little I sacrifice. Where we are staying, there are a lot of people who volunteer their summers, months, years, and even lives to come here and support causes such as the one we are currently working in. Every person that I continue to talk to speak about how God has called them to foreign lands to serve a God that doesn't only preside over their hometown. Just today I spoke with a family that live in Charlotte, NC and they are trying as hard as possible to move here to Ethiopia because this is where God is calling them to be. It is incredible to be around people that are so sensitive to the spirit of God that they get up and move their families to lands where they don't speak the language or understand their culture.

I'm witnessing so many things all at once and in some ways, it is difficult to take it all in. This morning was my first experience with the Islamic call to prayer. It happened...oh, about 5am. Then the Orthodox call to prayer started in. So when one could go off, the other would start. This went on for some good time. When I spoke to people about it here, they seemed to say they don't even hear it anymore. I guess it is like a train near our house that blows its whistle, but Heather and I hardly even pay attention to it anymore.

All in all it's been a great experience up to this point and we haven't even started working with at the drop in center with the kids. Although, I have met some of Joe's kid friends and they are all so welcoming and wonderful. Obviously, football is a great discussion and starting point, but I was able to speak to some of them about simple things today at lunch. One of them asked me today why I say "thank you" to the waiter so much. So I was able to explain to the kids that you are showing someone appreciation for an act of service. The talk went really well and I noticed them saying thank you to the service the rest of the day. Those little bits of time I get to spend and speak to them are precious to me. They may not know it, but their attitudes speak to me more than anything I could ever say.

Headed to bed. It's 12:15 here in addis. Just finished watching the Germany vs Australia match and I'm whooped. Still feeling a little jet lag, but not too bad. Tomorrow begins our work with the children at the drop in center. God has big plans for all of us.

Things to pray for:
  • That our group is well rested (especially the five members that just arrived tonight). The jet lag could still be affecting some
  • That tomorrow we can function well as a group and show the children as much love as possible.
  • For safety and health (Fortunately the food has been very good and doesn't seem to have affected any of the first four that arrived early).
  • Pray that God opens doors for us to minister to the children and people of Ethiopia. Whether that comes from conversations, medical needs, sporting activities, or anything else.
  • Pray that God ministers to all of us as well. That we would be open to listening to his words.
Good night...

No comments: