Thursday, February 25, 2010

American Idol Dudes Night Thoughts

After a really crummy night of estrogen, let's take a look at how the testosterone performed last night.

Todrick Hall: (Since You've Been Gone)
Dude, rocked the casbah. I think he is hit the right spot. Forget what the judges said because they're always telling people to take a risk and he did just that. Judges sucked with him.

Aaron Kelly: (Here Comes Goodbye)
Shaky start, but finished well. I think he's a little out of his element. Very shaky nerves. I think he's very intimidated by the judges and you can see it in his expressions.

Jermaine Sellers: (Get Here)
Is this guy a Diva or a Dude? Ugh...didn't like his performance at all. He butchered it

Tim Urban: (Apologize)
Tim...it's not too late to apologize - you shouldn't have sang that song. If you can't hit a note, don't hide it...don't sing the song. I'd hit the road and tell people that you're Keith's distant cousin. In a nutshell, horrible.

Joe Munoz: (You and I)
Great song selection! Perfectly tailored to his vocals. I told Mrs. McGoo right before he went on that he could be a darkhorse and I was right. This guy really hit the mark.

Tyler Grady: (American Woman)
If this was the video game Rock Band, I think he would score high. Unfortunately, it isn't a video game. The arrangement didn't help him much, but I thought it sounded crummy.

Lee Dewyze: (Chasing Cars)
Another great song selection. Sounded like he missed the mark on a couple of notes, but other than that, I liked his performance. He's got a great stage presence as well. Good raspy sound which is unique.

John Park: (God Bless the Child)
Ugh...worst performance of the night...shaky and couldn't understand what in the world he said at the beginning. John...God Bless the listeners of that horrendous rendition.

Michael Lynche: (This Love)
He sounded like he was singing with the Jackson 5 and not Maroon 5. Decent performance...sounded like something of Motown and a very safe performance. All in all not a bad way to start for him but felt like I've heard it before.

Alex Lambert: (Wonderful World)
Looked very uncomfortable on the mic and very nasely. I'm sure he's got more to show, but ugh...I just didn't like this performance. And trust me when I say this....CUT THE MULLET

Casey James: (Heaven)
Casey, I want to thank you for taking me back to the YMCA Summer Camp days when I had multiple girlfriends and sang that song to all of them. Good song. You're going to get a ton of votes for that song and will continue to get a ton of votes as long as you don't screw up terribly. Good song and good performance. He'll be around for a while.

Andrew Garcia: (Sugar We're Going Down)
Garcia, right now, imo is the best performer on the show. He's got all the tools to win the show. I thought he picked a safe way to sing and I would have liked to see him do something else.


All in all the guys were much better than the ladies. Still some bad performances, but I think the guys are very top heavy with Andrew, Casey, Todrick, Joe, and Lee. If any of those go home, I'll be greatly surprised.

Let me say this though...

I think this is the worst group of performers I've seen from American Idol since I started watching. I think the judges should be embarrassed with their picks. If some of the former contestants came back and were allowed to compete, I think a lot of them would blow this crew away.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah.....I'm not even that excited about even watching....There's just no one that really blew the roof off the house for the girls or the guys....They should title this years show American Mediocrity!

Kelly said...

I agree, this season has no stars. I may not even watch the rest of the season... very disappointed. And I had a lot higher hopes for Ellen as a judge. So far, I feel she has added nothing to the show...

Frank Bryant said...

I fast forward through Ellen like I once did to Paula.

I think you are being too harsh. This is the time the potential stars begin to develop their potential. Give it a couple more weeks. I think Casey, Andrew, Didi and couple others might begin to shine.

Mrs. McGoo said...

REMEMBER - Verbal Vomit AMERICAN IDOL Bracket competition will be underway once we get to the top 12. I expect all of you to jump into the competition. :)