Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Servants Heart

It has been a difficult week in the McGugan household as Mrs. McGoo learned that her grandmother, Mary Hansen passed away last Saturday. When we learned of the news, we had just been out with some of our closest friends on a nice dinner and left in a joyous mood. At dinner we were able to celebrate relationships, babies, and life all over a warm cooked meal. Things were very good when we left and I remember looking to my wife that night thinking that the Lord was good. He has blessed us with a great family, friends, and life that we are so happy to have. Sure we struggle with the normal things in life...not having enough money, house issues, day to day life issues and whatnot, but in the grand scheme of things, we are very happy and blessed.

Then Heather's phone rang. Heather was driving and couldn't reach her phone, so I answered it for her. Her father had called and asked how we were doing and what we were up to. I sensed something unfamiliar in his voice when he asked if he could speak with Heather, I knew something wasn't right. I gave the phone to her and as we drove on, I watched her emotions get the best of her. We pulled over and she got off the phone in tears and looked to me and said that her grandmother had passed away. We sat in the car for a while as I grabbed my wife's hand and waited a bit for her to let her tears out and come to grips with what she had just heard. Then I did the only thing that I know how to do in that kind of moment, I held my wife close and spoke to the Lord and it sounded something like this...

"Lord, we're hurting right now as our grandmother has been taken from us. While we feel it is too soon to let go, we know that your timing is what is important. I've never seen someone with more of a servants heart than that of Mary Hansen and for that, I thank you for her life. She has shown us what it is like to be Christ-like to all. Lord, we know that you are welcoming her in to heaven with open arms but I specifically ask that you are with her family and friends right now. I ask that you lay your loving arms all over her husband, Neil, right now, for he is without his bride and I know now more than ever, he needs to feel your love. Mary left behind so many people that loved her. Lord, I know you are proud. So Lord, thank you for allowing her to be with us for so long. We cannot wait until we see her again. In your name. Amen."

From the moment I came into this family, Mary has made me feel as if I was one of her own grandchildren. Heather warned me that if I let her, she'd help me gain 30 pounds by cooking me any meal I asked. From the minute I walked in her door she never stopped offering to serve me....take my coat, get me a drink, offer me food, or anything else you can think of. I've learned a lot from that...how to serve. For someone like me, a Christian, that's the simplest way for someone to see the kingdom. So simple to say, yet for some reason so difficult for so many to follow through with though. Mary, was the exception.

If you look at all of the books that Paul wrote in the bible, almost all of them begin with saying, "Paul, a servant of Christ...Paul, a bond servant of Christ...Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus." That was Mary...not only a belief in serving, but embodying it on a day to day basis. Heather's uncle documents her some more in his blog and explains in more detail her servant heart in his life.

Today I am serving as a pallbearer for Mary Hansen's funeral and I couldn't be more honored.

Today, it is my turn to serve one of the greatest servants I've ever known. Today Mary, you get to sit back and let us take care of you for once. After a lifetime of service for your Lord, Creator, Savior, and everyone that came in between, you've earned every bit of the blessings, tears, laughter, and service you're going to get.

We love you. We miss you. God bless you

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Awesome

Frank Bryant said...

Absolutely a great post. Thanks

Laura Dawson said...

wow bubba - that was amazing! really brought me to tears. Thinking about you guys and loving you too!

Candace Joseph said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and know ya'll are in the Joseph's prayers. Be safe coming home.

Meredith Smith said...

that was beautiful Kelly- what joy it is to help usher someone into the kingdom of God and what peace to know where their soul lies.

Janna Maxwell said...

beautifully said. praying for your guys

Larry McGugan said...

Beautiful words Kelly. I'm proud of you and Heather. My heart goes out to the family. Be safe on the drive back. I also had the honor of meeting Mary a year ago at Christmas time. She made an impression on me too. God Bless her.