Thursday, February 4, 2010

LOST - One Step Forward and Two Steps Back

So I tuned in this past Tuesday night to LOST to potentially get more answers to some of the questions that have lingered on for multiple seasons. Problem is that I left with a lot more questions. Wha??

It's funny really...the thing that makes this show so frustrating is the same thing that makes it so wonderful. The writers are genius in that they lure you in with questions about someone or something and frustrate the hell out of you until you finally get that question answered. The frustrating thing is that the same episode a question gets answered, they end up putting more questions in the show to make you think even more.
Everyone wants answers and they all look to him for them

For instance, we got an idea of what the smoke monster "Smokey" is (Esau) and we find out that Juliet doesn't die from the explosion (not until later) but we get a ton more questions.

For instance:
1. Why is Ash spread to keep Smokey away?
2. Was the flash an alternate time or the future they could have had?
3. What happened to Christian's body?
4. What is Miles not telling Sawyer when he said that Juliet told him "It worked." What worked?
5. How in the world did Desmond get on the plane and where did he disappear to?
6. Why didn't they show Shannon on the plane with Boone?

See....more questions that need to be answered. And this is just one episode. I feel like I'm watching General Hospital. But as one can see, it's why it is the best show on TV right now. I'd give "Dexter" a vote for a close second.
Oh Freckles why do you frustrate me so
Here are some of my thoughts on things....

-I believe that the artist formally known as John Locke is "Esau" and he is the brother of "Jacob." (Any of you biblical scholars out there care to shed some light on the two from a biblical perspective?)

-Since Jacob was killed by Ben, I think Hurley's vision to take Sayid to the Temple was so that Jacob could be reincarnated in Sayid's body (Maybe).

-I'm also interested to see about that list that was in the broken cross. Based on the file I attached to my blog, I think that Jack may have not been on that list...which would makes sense if you remember season 2 when Michael referenced the list at the end of the season. What does that mean then? Is Jack the variable that Faraday talked about?

-Additionally the flash makes it appear as if that was the life they would have had if the flight didn't crash, but I wonder if somehow they will all be thrust together in some form or fashion anyway. Lost is very much about fate and I think fate may play a large part in what is going on in that flash.

All in all, it's building to what should be an incredible season. I know I'm stoked.

I'm all ears in hearing more theories and thoughts....bring em on!

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

My guess is that what is going on on the island is "real." The stories sprouting from 815 actually landing are "glimpses" of what could have been. I put glimpses in " "s because I'm not sure how these glimpses will occur. But I think each character will end up seeing what could have been. In previews for upcoming episodes we see Jack smashing glass or mirrors - maybe that's where they see the "glimpses" (long guess there). But in the timeline where 815 lands, I think all of the same things will happen. Kate will be there when Claire gives birth, Charlie will die (so sad, I love him), etc., etc.
The list in the ankh was pretty cool. It is a possibility that Jack's name wasn't on there. At the end of the episode, cool pirate dude #1 (Dogan) asks to speak with Jack. Maybe he is about to bring up the fact that his name was not on the list. But alas! We are interrupted when Sayid wakes up and asks, "What happened?" in a very non-Iraqi accent.
And I'm loving the possibility that setting off the bomb made the island sink. How selfish of our survivors...they dropped the bomb to help themselves without thinking of what would happen to the island.
So that's my $0.02. One "timeline" is the bomb didn't go off (I mean come on, a massive fall didn't set it off but Juliet banging on it with a rock did?) and a time flash brought them to 2007. And the other "timeline" is the bomb did go off, the island sank, and 815 did not crash. But like I said, I don't think the latter one is real.

Mr. McGoo said...

I do think that the flash may be that fate is going to bring them to the same situations or similar ones as they are dealing with now