Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dissecting American Idol Contestants - 3


My past two posts I've looked at 10 contestants that America has had a chance to see and hear. Here are a few more that we've seen and some predictions....

Haeley Vaughn:
Question, how many African-American singer songwriter types are out there? I can only think of one...Tracy Chapman. She's got a "fast car" and that's all I know. I think Haeley has an interesting voice and style, but I just don't see it getting her far. She's only 16 and I think the pressure is going to get to her.

How does she get in the Top 12:
Hopefully every song she is told to sing is written by: Sugarland, Jewel, Chapman, Sheryl Crow, and the Indigo Girls


Janell Wheeler:
Janelle had very good auditions until her final one, she struggled. That may have to do with her voice going out on her so it remains to be seen how she'll do. She definitely has the looks, charisma, and the chords to make it far. I am undecided on her...there's something about her that I like, but also something I'm a little timid about.

How does she get in the Top 12:
I think she's got to keep herself healthy...don't lose her voice again. I think she also needs to engage herself more with the audience.


Katelyn Epperly:
Katelyn could very well come out of this being:
a. America's Sweetheart
b. Winning it all
c. Crashing out early
d. a and c.
She's got a cuteness not seen in Idol in a long time. I didn't care for the 'family problems' story they told as I didn't see that as news worthy really.

How does she get in the Top 12:
She'll definitely have one vote each week if she dresses cute


Lilly Scott:
I somewhat compare her to Carly Smithson from two years ago. However, I think Carly is better (and got shafted from winning I might add) and she didn't win it. Soooo....hopefully she improves each round because she does have the goods to make it far.

How does she get in the Top 12:
I think she is a good bet to make it in. She's very dynamic with her voice and seems very well rounded with her pitch.


That's about it. The rest of the crew I don't know much about or heard enough to make a good guess on who I think will go far. Which is exactly why I am not predicting a winner until I've seen them all. No sense in picking against talent I've not seen.

www.mrmcgoo.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Mrs. McGoo said...

looking forward to the competition.

Unknown said...

I agree... right now, it's anybody's game. Just too early to tell but I'm seriously getting excited about brackets this season!