Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moment of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy" - Dr. Martin Luther King


Today is Martin Luther King Day. I never gave the day much thought honestly, and then last semester, I studied the civil rights movement and took a trip to the National Civil Rights Museum. I wish I had more than the 2 hours than I allotted for the trip because it was a very moving experience. I was fortunate enough to write a research paper on the integration of college basketball and learned so much about the struggles that many African-Americans endured just trying to assimilate themselves to the rest of the basketball world. Additionally we spent a good 3-4 weeks studying the civil rights movement and covered a lot of ground. However, by far, my favorite time was going to the National Civil Rights Museum.

One of the documentaries that was shown at the National Civil Rights Museum was this video.



I encourage anyone that hasn't been to the museum in Memphis to take a look sometime. The museum is free on Mondays and you could honestly spend a full day in there looking at all the history. I plan on going back soon.

Additionally, we watched the documentary in our history class called "At the River I Stand" which is about the Memphis sanitation workers strike back in 1969. It is actually the event that brought Dr. King to Memphis and shows his final "Mountain Top" speech before he was murdered. It's a fascinating documentary.



So today, even though I was not around during the civil rights movement, nor have I ever had to endure struggle like some, I pay my respects and give thanks to the great Dr. Martin Luther King and all those who have sacrificed for a greater purpose. I only hope to be half the man he was.

It would be an honor.

No comments: