Monday, January 4, 2010

So long Paw Paw Brooks

This morning Rich Brooks announced his retirement as head football coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats.

I must go on record and say that I am actually sad to see him gone. I do think it is time for him to retire, but I grew to like the old guy over the years. His overall record at UK was 39-47 in seven years at UK, but keep in mind he took over a team in probation with huge scholarship hits. What I like is that he went 30-22 over his last four seasons with the wildcats with bowl games in each of the four.

I think it is safe to say he truly is leaving this program in better shape than it was when he inherited it and not many coaches can say that. Coach Brooks also did it the right way. He graduated his players and for being an old school coach, his players really liked him. While not the big name like many coaches in the SEC, he is very well respected by his fellow coaches. I applaud the UK Athletics dept for sticking with Brooks early on when things were not going well. They took a chance on Brooks, much like he took a chance on UK and it really worked out well.


A players coach - Rich Brooks with players

Our next coach will be Joker Phillips who is the offensive coordinator and has been the "coach in waiting" for two years now. I think it was a good decision two years ago to lock him in and keep him in the Commonwealth as the next coach. He's a very good recruiter and is an offensive coach. I do question his play calling some, but who doesn't question a coach here and there.

Best of luck to Coach Brooks in whatever he ends up doing...which sounds like enjoying grandchildren and some fine Makers Mark whiskey that he had presented to him.

No comments: